Cheryl Trefzger was sipping coffee in her pajamas around 8:15 a.m. Sunday morning when someone banged on her door.
Down the street from her Villages of Five Points apartment, some women playing pickleball had noticed the unit directly to the south of Cheryl’s was on fire and told her to get out, she said.
Cheryl was the only one at home at her and her husband’s row apartment in the 17000 block of Chatham Street. Bill Trefzger was out on a bike ride.
“I saw a text from my wife that said ‘fire,'” Bill said. “The next one said ‘evacuation.'”
The Lewes Fire Department and multiple other companies responded to Chatham Drive around 8:30 a.m.
The department spokesman was on the scene and could not comment. Officials have not yet said whether there were any injuries, nor have they announced the cause of the fire.
Bill Trefzger said officials told him the third floor and attic of their apartment was “an extension of the fire,” which appeared to have started next door, where the most damage was done.
“They had to open up our roof,” he said. “There’s windows knocked out.”
This story will be updated