This live feed is owned and operated by Friends of Big Bear Valley, a 501c3 nonprofit organization. Any public use of the live video, including screen captures, requires prior approval and credit to the organization. Thank you for your consideration!
Chat Hours: Monday – Saturday 8:00am to 8:00pm cam time. Chat is closed on Sunday.
🔴AM 9:55:45 CH; 10:18 S# 1 fluff; 10:20 S out; 10:50 campan 🔵PM 12:09 S# 2stick; 12:13 S out; 3:00:54 BAEA flyby; 9:53:58, 10:12:37, SBFS
What’s happening at the nest: We are sad to report, after egg 1 began to hatch, it appears that sometime during the day on 3/19 the eaglet passed away. Egg 2 did not hatch and was removed from the nest by a raven on 4/18. The eagles are now in their summer routine, out doing what eagles do. They will periodically visit the nest, add sticks and maybe even bring in lunch. The live cam remains on 24/7 throughout the year.
Big Bear Valley’s current weather conditions: http://www.bensweather.com/
To see the history of the Big Bear Eagles:
Detailed History: https://friendsofbigbearvalley.org/eagles/eagle-history/
Quick Reference: https://friendsofbigbearvalley.org/eagles/reference-guide/
To Donate: https://friendsofbigbearvalley.org/donate/
Visit our Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/Friends-of-Big-Bear-Valley-and-Big-Bear-Eagle-Nest-Cam-705508029491602
Visit our interactive sister Facebook group at:
About the nest: The nest is located at Big Bear Lake, California. It is about 145 feet up in a Jeffrey Pine tree. The nest is the current home for Jackie and Shadow, a local bald eagle pair.
Q-How do you tell Jackie and Shadow apart? A-Jackie is larger than Shadow. Jackie’s beak is both longer and thicker from top to bottom than Shadow’s.
Q-How old are the eagles? A-Jackie is 9, Shadow is 7.
Q-How can the eagles handle the cold temperatures, snow and rain? A-Bald Eagles are well equipped to handle harsh weather conditions. They have down feathers against their skin that can hold in the heat their bodies generate. On top of the down, they have approximately 7000 waterproof feathers that can keep the wet and cold out and also helps keep the heat inside.
Q-Where do the eagles sleep at night and does the light bother them? A-During nesting season, Jackie the female sleeps in the nest, Shadow sleeps perched in a tree nearby in case he is needed. The light at the nest is an infrared light, this light cannot be seen by the eagles or humans. It is only picked up by the camera, which enables us to view the nest at night. In the off season, both eagles sleep perched in trees within their territory.
Thank you for taking an interest in our Big Bear Bald Eagle family. We hope you enjoy your viewing and chat experience. Please remember to always follow the chat guidelines below. This is a view into the everyday life of wild bald eagles and the nature that surrounds them.
1. Be polite and respectful.
2. No discussions of religion, politics, sex or illegal substances.
3. Profanity will not be tolerated.
4. The main topic is the Big Bear Eagle family and the surrounding ecosystem, please stay on topic. 5. No personal attacks or harassment.
6. Public chat is not the place to discuss personal health issues, medications or to offer advice to anyone regarding their situation, those messages will be removed. Please take these conversations to private messages.
7. Please respect the chat moderators and their decisions. If you have concerns, please email FOBBV through “contact us” on the website.
8. Do not post in all caps or repeated characters, letters, symbols or emojis (4).
9. No threats towards other chat members, eagles* or in any other manner. All threats will be taken seriously.
10. When an inappropriate comment is posted, please do not engage; let the moderator handle the situation.
11. This is an English only chat, if needed, please use Google Translate.
12. Those with inappropriate screen/nicknames will be banned from chat. Failure to follow any of the above rules could result in: removal of your comment, a silenced period or permanent ban from this chat room at the moderator’s discretion.