A fire at a Rehoboth Beach Yacht and Country Club home early Wednesday morning caused $1 million in damage, according to the state fire marshal’s office.
Firefighters responded to the first block of West Side Drive around 4 a.m. to find smoke and flames coming from the roof of a two-story home, the fire marshal’s office said. The occupants were able to escape safely due to an alarm system.
Firefighters battled the flames for about two hours before bringing the blaze under control, according to a Rehoboth Beach Volunteer Fire Company Facebook post. Crews stayed on scene until nearly 8 a.m., “extinguishing hot spots before clearing the incident,” the post said.
The fire marshal’s office determined the blaze was accidental, caused by “an electrical malfunction of fixed branch circuit wiring.”