A Princess Anne man has been arrested in connection with an August arson fire that caused thousands of dollars in damage to a Somerset County home.
Staff at Go-Getters, a local health care clinic, contacted deputy state fire marshals about statements made by the 30-year-old suspect. Deputy state fire marshals later interviewed the male suspect who confessed to intentionally setting fire to a home on Oak Street in Princess Anne on Aug. 3, according to a Friday news release.
The Office of the State Fire Marshal said it took 50 minutes for 25 firefighters from the Princess Anne Volunteer Fire Company and surrounding departments to get the Aug. 3 fire under control.
The blaze caused an estimated $50,000 in damage to a single-story home owned by Go-Getters.
The fire marshal’s office said the suspect initially told investigators who responded to the scene that he had accidentally left a cigar he’d been smoking on the mattress. He ultimately stated he had been dishonest during that first interview, according to a fire marshall’s news release.
The man was taken to TidalHealth Peninsula Regional in Salisbury on an emergency petition after meeting with investigators Sept. 2.
He was later released and has been charged with first- and second-degree arson, as well as reckless endangerment. He is currently being held without bond in the Wicomico County Detention Center.
He faces a maximum penalty of 55 years imprisonment and/or $85,000 in fines if convicted on all of the above charges.